Saturday, June 5, 2010

Pretty Lights

So Pretty Lights buuurned the fucking place down last night. It was an awesome set peppered with brand new shit that was really, really fast and very different from anything we've heard from him before. He also remixed a bunch of his tracks, including a sweet extra-electro-y version of "My Other Love". The average age in the crowd was probably 18, which was a little weird, but on the other hand, if that's the music the kids are listening to these days then god bless 'em.

My peoples were not able to get it together in time to catch Chiddy Bang (read: were busy getting fucked up), which was a shame. We saw about half of RJD2, which was awful. I did not realize until after the concert that the DJ playing when we came in was in fact RJ- I assumed he was the filler between RJ and Pretty Lights. He must have been playing stuff from his new album, which frankly I never really gave much of a listen to. RJ was also really boring when he came to Emory U a couple years ago, although I've heard about shows elsewhere that people really enjoyed.

So yeah, I can't stop thinking about how ill PL was. The set was incredible, and I've never seen him get the BPMs and energy so high. The light show was amazing. The final track he played was a special NYC mashup of "Empire State of Mind" with BIG's "Juicy" with a really funky cadence, and a little Big L thrown in for good measure. Fucking awesome.

In honor of the show, here's a mashup I made a while back of Pretty Lights with BIG and Jurassic 5, called "Rollin". Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment